Monday, April 26, 2010

The Omni Pod

Almost a month ago I mentioned receiving a rather large package from Inuslet Corporation containing the OmniPod insulin pump starter kit.  I have since opened the intimidating box and familiarized myself, husband, and Taylar with the system.  The OmniPod does not have any tubing like other insulin pumps which is a feature that my daughter was drawn to.  The pod will be adhered to Taylar's abdomen, arm, leg, buttocks...just about anywhere, and will give her spurts of insulin (basal) 24/7 delivered through a soft cannula automatically inserted under her skin.  We will also use the Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM) to deliver quick doses of insulin (bolus) to cover carbs she eats.  The site she wears the pod will have to be changed every other day.  If you want to see how it works, OmniPod has a great interactive website and you can check it out here.

Before switching from injections to a pump there is some training involved, thank goodness.  On May 1 a representative from OmniPod will come to our house to set us up.  Or should I say to set Taylar up?  She will first wear the pump filled with only saline for about 10 days in order to get used to it and to troubleshoot any issues that may come up.  I have to say that I'm pretty nervous about this.  Not only is Taylar going to have to wear the pump but because it's only saline at first, we will still have to give her injections as well.  Ugh.

Our official pump start date, however, is Tuesday, May 11, which happens to be 2 days after Taylar's 8th birthday.  The pump is by no means to be thought of as a birthday present though!  It just happened to work out that way.  We have a two hour appointment at Children's Hospital, Boston, to start this whole process with real insulin.  We will have an hour break for lunch and then another appointment with the social worker.  I have to say I am looking forward to the social work appointment both for Taylar and me.  This has been such a huge life changing issue but we haven't been able to talk to many people about it.  I have found a lot of support online though which has been helpful at least for me.

So that's what's going on with the pump!  I mentioned it but then got scared and tried to forget about it.  We did have a while to wait in between receiving the package and actually using the pod but now it's here! 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your pump start. Caleb has been Podding for three years and we are still pleased. I wish you all the best with it!

    ReplyDelete